My Creations

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Paste Embossing Tutorial

This tutorial is to demonstrate how to do paste embossing. Paste embossing gives a new use for all those brass stencils that are normally used for dry embossing. For this demo, I used Dreamweaver Stencils Translucent Embossing Paste. ETA: I cannot find this paste in stores like Michaels or Joanns...I got mine at a scrapbooking/stamping expo. Your local scrapbook store may carry it or you can also order from Dreamweaver.

1. Select your favorite brass stencil. Tape the edges securely to your paper with tape that is easily removable. Make sure you are working on a flat, sturdy, even surface. 2. Color in the stencil. You can use chalks, markers, ink, colored pencils...basically anything you want. In this photo, I'm using chalk (and I'm left handed!! LOL). 3. Put a bead of embossing paste onto the tip of a spatula. If desired, you can even mix in some iridescent powders or metallic liquid acrylic paints to the paste. (Add approximately 1/2 tsp. paint or powder to 2Tbsp. paste.)
4. Spread the embossing paste evenly over the stencil as if you are frosting a cake. The paste will fill in all the open spots in the stencil. Repeat until all the holes are filled in. Make sure you work quickly, as it starts to set up in 20 minutes.5. Carefully remove 3 sides of the the tape so that you can lift up the stencil like a hinge. This will help preserve the embossed image. Once the "hinge" is open, you can remove the remainder of the tape. Clean the stencil immediately with warm water and an old toothbrush so that the paste doesn't dry on the surface.
6. If desired, you can now sprinkle on some glitter. Move the paper around so that the glitter is evenly distributed. Discard the extra glitter. (Without the glitter, it will try into a glossy finish).
7. Let dry overnight. Your final product is a colorful 3-D image!

18 comments:

pescbrico said...

Oh Cheryl, this is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

Rita said...

This is a fabulous technique Cheryl, I luv it!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Pamela said...

Oh wow...this is awesome!!!

Christine said...

Wow, that was really neat!
Now.... where do I get embossing paste?? LOL

Beth said...

Great minds... I received a sample of some embossing paste at a scrapbook convention that was held locally. This weekend I went to a stamping retreat and played with it for the first time. The sample I had was white so I couldn't try the chalking first. I did have some colored glitters that I attempted to place immediately following the paste but they would not stick (the consistency of my paste was very thick which may have cause problems, I'll give Dreamweaver a try next time.) So I ended up coloring the dried pasted image with Copic markers which actually worked pretty well. It's so fun to play and experiment! Have a great week!

Alexandra said...

Oooh, I like this Cheryl - totally cute!! TFS!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Christine said...

Beth- I'm glad you shared your experience. I was going to try different on-line stores, not paying attention to brands. I think I will stick to the Dreamweaver.
TFS

Angie said...

Great tip!! Thanks for sharing!

Tabitha said...

this is gorgeous

Jen Glover said...

LOVE This! I would definitely have to do this during nap time, if the kids see glitter ... they want in on it! *hugs*

Crafty Connie said...

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

Brenda said...

Thank you for such a wonderful technique! Can't wait to try it!!

Monica-FC said...

this is soo cool. I will have to try this out. many thanks for showing.

Janean Campbell said...

What a cool idea...Will try this out sometime.

Scrappermania said...

Ohhh Great idea! Thanks!

Bumble Bee said...

Hmmmm, I think I actually might have some of this stuff! I saw it at Stamping and Scrapbooking Expo here in Houston a few years back, and pretty sure I bought some...gotta go find it and some time to play! Thanks for the tutorial -- that's one of the reasons I never used it, couldn't remember how once I got home! LOL (PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one that does that? Please? C'mon, humor me....)

Jean Marie said...

Great look!! will be giving this a try!! TFS!

Harriet said...

thank you ...I will have to try this...I learned something new today...